Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Homeward bound

The following dialogue took place during a recent trip home to visit my parents:

Parents:
What do you want to drink? Do you want orange juice, apple juice, juicy juice, root beer? Should I put onions in the squash? Did you get your IRA account figured out? Are you going to deposit that check? Because I noticed that it hadn’t cleared yet. Do you want to drive by the bank on your way out? What happened with your friend Beth’s job? Where is she doing to work? How much will that pay? Is it a permanent position? Does she know anyone there? Does she own a car or will she have to buy one? Do you want a small glass or a big one? Did you feed Cinnamon recently? He threw up earlier but it was just a hairball. Did you follow up on your health insurance? Didn’t you have a bathing suit you ordered and needed to return? Do you want us to do that for you? Do you need any tuna fish or soda or juice to take back to the apartment? Or toilet paper or paper towels? I got a toothbrush at the dentist’s office last week but I don’t need it. Are you trying to kill me with those onions? Do you want another vegetable in addition to the salad and squash? Did you ever talk to Katherine about her organization? How is your knee? Are you still taking the Naproxen? Do you want some pita bread to take home? I just bought some but put it in the freezer. You also got some mail from the board of elections and something from your credit card company. I think it’s just an advertisement thing, but you may want to check it. Do you want me to open it for you and take a look? Did you get a referral yet for that dermatologist? Is the remote control for your tv still working or did it conk out again? Do you think you’ll come back here later this week or next week to do the crocheting with grandma? Have you heard of the organization Caring Hearts? Or Living Hearts? Or Reading Hearts? I think they do something with literacy and low income kids. One of my friends’ daughter works for them and she said they don’t have any openings but that they’re based in New York. Do you want me to put you in contact with her? Did you eat that chicken from last time you were here? Did it make your stomach feel funny at all?

Leah:
Yes.

1 comment: